Thanks to Marjorie over at Kyrosmagica I’ve been nominated in a Free Style Writing Challenge. My topic is “fear: an adrenaline shot, taken or avoided – your choice.” I know a thing or two about fear and my strength in writing is fiction writing, so I combined those two things for this writing challenge. Challenge accepted!
(Remember this is a flash fiction/free style writing exercise which means no editing or proofing, just writing. So keep that in mind as you read this 🙂 )
She stood enclosed in a metal box, her breaths echoed off the walls. Her clammy hands ran up and down the surface seeking an escape to her incarceration. “Oh, dear God, oh, dear God,” became her mantra. The air grew thinner and her vision began to gray around the edges – she would soon pass out.
“Ding.” The metal doors slid open and life-giving air rushed in from the 4th floor.
She had survived the elevator ride.
5 Minutes, 77 words
I do suffer from claustrophobia some times such as a narrow passage in a cave or in a crowded room with no windows. All the above symptoms hit me and the only cure is to get the Heck Outta There!
But even though I am joking about my claustrophobia, there are people whose lives are crippled because of their fears. Do not tell them their fears are silly. No one would purposely put themselves through this torment for a little attention. The reactions are real; the pounding heartbeat, the clammy sweat, trouble breathing, anxiety, changes in vision and hearing….
Please be sympathetic to people no matter what phobia they have. It’s no picnic in the park.
Do you have fears yourself? Let me know in a comment below and Have a great day!
So, here are the rules for this writing challenge:
1. Set a stop watch or your phone to 5 minutes or 10 minutes, whichever challenge you think you can beat.
2. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH A TIMER.
3. Fill a word document with as many words as you want. Once you began writing do not stop even to turn.
4. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spellings and grammar with spell check in MS WORD (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write the right spelling and stick to grammar rules)
5. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation and capitals. However, if you do, it would be best.
6. At the end of your post write down ‘Word count =_____’ so that we would have an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
7. Copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new Topic for your nominees and copy paste these rules with your nominations (at least 5 bloggers).
I nominate the following bloggers:
One Spoiled Cat – “Living life day by day with love”
Hair Ball Express – a cat’s daily diary
Those are my 5 but ANYONE who wants to participate – go for it! Just be sure to send me your link so I can read it 🙂
Your topic, if you choose to accept this challenge, is… Love (can be the love of a parent for a child, two lovers or the love for your pet – have fun with it)